A baby blanket is going to become one of your staples once your wonderful new baby arrives. I remember my washing line being a wonderful site of baby vests and baby grows and baby blankets, and us both saying ‘do you think the neighbourhood know we have a baby yet!’.
There are so many options of blanket for your baby and it can become quite overwhelming with what is best for baby, at what age etc. So we decided to research and find some of our favourite organic blankets and look into why going organic makes a difference and is so important to the environment, the planet and of course your new bundle of joy.
Why go organic?
As we have discussed in our post ‘The organic pregnancy’ there are a vast amounts of chemicals and pesticides and unnatural dyes that go into the production of our clothes and in this case blankets. This has a triple impact. Firstly in the growing of the cotton or bamboo, secondly in the production of the blanket, and then thirdly when it is being worn by your baby, and next to their skin for a good portion of the day.
The benefit of going organic is that when growing the cotton or bamboo etc, the harmful chemicals, insecticides, herbicides, pesticides or genetically modified organisms, are not used. So at the very outset of growth, the growers are not filling the environment with harmful substances and those harmful substances are not saturating the raw plant.
It is reported that cotton that has been conventionally grown uses more insecticides than any other crop in the entire world. By going organic these harmful toxins, that are dangerous to farmers, wildlife, plants (and in the end your baby), are not released into the atmosphere of our wonderful planet, that is struggling to regulate the damage us humans are doing. Yet the frightening statistic is that only one percent of all the cotton grown is organic.
Organic baby blankets tend to be made out of two plants, organic cotton or organic bamboo. Both make a wonderful soft fabric for your baby’s delicate new skin. Organic bamboo is one of the fastest growing and most sustainable plants, so makes it a wonderful choice for clothes and blankets.
In our article ‘Reducing the risk of SIDS’ (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome) we highlighted the importance of keeping your baby’s temperature constant and in between 16-20 degrees Celsius (62-68 degrees F). Both organic cotton and bamboo offer great heat regulation, which is incredible important for your newborn.
Best organic baby blankets
All of our reviews and best of’s are written either from personal experience of owning the products or services, however we have not owned all the products we review. Where this is the case we conduct thorough research and analysis of the reviews written by others.
This is a luxurious soft 2 layer organic muslin cotton quilt blanket, which has a size of 40 X 40 com. It is small but it will last from baby to toddler as a security blanket. This could also be used as a topper blanket for your cot of crib or as an extra layer in the cooler months.
The wonderful thing about this quilt blanket is it can also be used as a surface for tummy time or as a play mat for your newborn. It can also be used as a snuggle surface for nappy changing, or for cuddling and playing. It makes a lovely comforter blanket too.
Little Blue Nest tell us that their blanket quilt is softer and thicker than non organic blankets because by growing without the nasty chemicals the cotton can retain more of its natural wax. This then makes it softer, smoother and safer for your baby’s tender delicate skin.
They tell us their lightweight organic muslin provides extra warmth but also helps to regulate your baby’s temperature and prevents the risk of overheating. Each blanket is hand folded and packed in their little workshop in Gloucestershire, in a beautiful presentation box, so this would be a perfect gift for any expectant parent or new baby.
- Incredibly versatile and can be used for many things (saving you money)
- size 40 X 40cm, so will last from baby to toddler years and beyond (saving you money)
- Made from the finest pre-washed organic cotton muslin. Better for the environment, kinder to your babies skin
- Machine washable and easy to care for. Will keep its shape and softness wash after wash. In fact Little Blue Nest tell us it will get softer the more you wash it!
- Comes in ‘into the woods’ design so will fit most girl/boy/unisex nurseries
- Made with two layers of softened GOTS organic cotton
- very small than other blankets (but could be used as a comforter blanket as your baby grows).
Made with 70% organic merino wool and 30% silk. Can be used as a blanket or for swaddling. Size 80cm X 100cm. Reviewers loved this blanket stating it was incredibly soft and regulated their baby’s temperature well/
- Organic Wool so no chemicals used to produce this blanket making it better for the environment and your babies skin
- Pure and natural
- The organic wool functions as a temperature regulator
- Has to be hand washed with specialist wool detergent, could be a bit inconvenient if needing to be washed frequently
Kite have produced this really beautiful, colourful blanket, which they state has been manufactured from the best materials. designed in Dorset in the UK and manufactured to the highest ethical standards this 100 % organic cotton blanket is sure to delight you, and keep your baby warm and comfortable.
A gorgeous 90cm X 75 cm stitch interest blanket, it makes a wonderful gift.
Kite use organic cotton that is certified by the Soil Association to the Global Textile Standard (GOTS)
- Eco Friendly knitted blanket, made with no chemicals and pesticides so better for the planet and your baby.
- Made from100% organic cotton resulting in a very soft blanket, perfect for your baby’s new delicate skin.
- All the dyes used to make this blanket are AZO free and water based.
- Machine Washable at 40 degrees for convenience.
- Super soft be great as a comfort blanket
- Really beautiful traditional design
- Matches with Kites ‘Happy Hare’ range but great as stand alone piece!
This cuddly knitted blanket is ideal as your baby’s first blanket. Lovely simple design which is available in blue and pink colour options. This premium, organic cotton has been carefully processed and manufactured according to Oeko-tex 100 standard. The organic cotton makes a very breathable material which is great for your new baby’s ability to regulate their temperature at night. The blanket texture is slightly elastic so makes it ideal as a puck blanket. Also, perfect as a pram blanket, at home, or in the car seat.
Size 90 X 70cm
- Minky Moo tell us their blanket is high quality made from natural organic cotton. Great for the environment and wonderfully soft on your baby.
- Has a slightly elastic texture so great as a puck blanket, and versatile enough to be used summer, and winter
- Great for use in your baby’s cot, pram, car seat or just while you are having a cuddle.
- Would make a great gift
- Packed in an environmentally friendly paper bag.
Sweety fox have been a favourite company of ours for some years. They came up top in our best sleeping bags for babies too. Made with 100% GOTS certified organic cotton, this blanket is chemical-free and will be incredibly gentle on your new baby’s skin.
This is a big blanket 80 X 100 cm making it really practical and multi purpose. perfect for taking in the pram to keep your baby warm on a walk, as a travel blanket, perfect as a swaddle. this could also be used for tummy play. And of course perfect for their cot or bed a they grow older.
sweety Fox promise us this blanket will stay beautiful for a long time and would make the perfect gift. This blanket is available in four lovely colours pink, blue, grey and white, so perfect to match with most nurseries.
- Made from certified organic cotton, great for the environment and super soft on your baby’s skin, with no harmful chemicals.
- Multi function every day use. Or perfect for colder months or times when you may wish to double layer.
- Great for swaddling and snuggling.
- Super soft 100% organic cotton
- washable at 30 degrees
- OEKO-Tex certifed
- No chemicals used in the production
- Four colours available, perfect for mix and matching
- Unisex design and colours
- Will make the perfect gift as comes presented in lovely box with ribbon!
- None we love Sweety Fox products
Made with premium material of luxurious organic cotton, tiny Alpaca promise it will get softer the more you wash it. It is lightweight and comfortable, great for summer months or layering in the winter. It promotes a deep sleep by reducing the risk of over heating your baby.
This wonderfully fun blanket comes in four design options, giving you real versatility and choice. we love every single one! they have four layers of softness and security. Its four layers make this blanket perfect as a security blanket but thin enough for swaddling.
It has perfect multi use and it’s larger 120 X 120 cm size means it can be used on your cot or for a toddler as they grow. Also perfect for tummy time or floor play. great for using in your pushchair and pram and folding to use on car seats.
I am confident you are going to love these blankets as much as we do.
- Great for your baby’s delicate soft skin, being 100% organic, has no chemicals that can come into contact with your baby.
- Organic makes this blanket super soft
- Tiny Alpaca tells us these will last wash after wash. Which lets face it, a baby blanket is going to be in a washing machine quite often!
- Being organically made means it is better for farmer, the earth and of course you and your baby
- GOTS certified 100% organic (gives you the peace of mind their organic claims are backed up with certification)
- Great 120 X 120 cm size
- available in five lovely designs panda, birds, rabbit, horse, and whale
- reviewers absolutely love this blanket in all designs
- Quite a thin design .
We have reviewed some Little Green sheep products before, namely their organic baby mattresses. Again this is a company whose environmental and sustainable ethics have impressed us here. So it was wonderful to discover this organic blanket.
The Little Green Sheep tell us their blanket is breathable and soft and lightweight so it will gently mould to your baby keeping them safe and cosy all year round. Certified 100% organic cotton, giving you the peace of mind no chemical residue will be coming into contact with your baby, and the blanket will be soft on your baby’s delicate skin.
SIZE 75 X 75 cm
- 100% certified organic cotton (great for the environment and your baby)
- Breathable and lightweight so great for regulating your baby’s temperature, giving you peace of mind they won’t overheat.
- Machine washable a 30 degrees
- would make a great gift as it comes with a ‘With Love’ tag
- Lovely neutral colour so great for any gender or unisex decor.
Isla + Fraser have made this beautifully knitted certified organic blanket. They tell us their organic cotton has been grown without using pesticides or heavy chemicals which makes this blanket soft and gentle for your baby’s skin. Again breathable so helps regulate your baby’s temperature which is incredibly important for preventing them overheating.
This blanket is a generous size of 70cm X 90 cm which makes it really versatile for you and your baby., and ideal for using for prams, Moses baskets cots or on the move in your car seat.
- 100% Organic Cotton
- Breathable and soft
- Machine Washable at 30 degrees C
- Unisex bespoke design
- Tied with a delicate Isla + Fraser Ribbon making it a great gift as nicely presented
- Versatile and multifunctional
Wallaboo Baby inform us that their 100% organic blanket is warm, beautiful and versatile. It is superb quality and suitable from newborn and up. Can be machine washed for convenience. As it is a really good size 70 cm X 90 cm it provides you with versatility. Can be used as a nighttime snuggle blanket, wrap or for swaddling.
This wonderful blanket comes with a choice of eight colours Silver, Green, Grey, blue, red, white and taupe. We are showing the pink option in our picture (just click link and change colour option), but you really will find a colour that matches your nursery decor or gender/unisex theme.
- Unisex design that will look lovely in your nursery
- Multipurpose size that looks handmade
- 100% pure organic cotton
- choice of 8 colour options
It is thought that the weighted blankets help a better more restful sleep, it is also soft and cosy and helps stimulate your child’s tactile cognition. It has even been proven that this can help with your child’s focus in the classroom, due to the better, deeper, calmer more rested sleep
Provide comfort and the gentle weight stimulates pivotal pressure points to mimicking the feeling of being hugged or held. You can use this blanket to relax your child’s body and mind to induce a really nice calm and restful sleep.
A good 32.8 X 13.5 x 9.1cm size it is designed to be the perfect size to snuggle with. Designed for children from 19 to 40 lbs. It is NOT RECOMMENDED FIOR CHILDREN UNDER TWO YEARS OLD.
Can be washed at 30 degrees.
- 100% Organic cotton
- Safe for toddler from 2 years old
- Machine washable at 30 degrees
- Free of chemicals and pesticides
- Weighted blanket to help toddler sleep and reduce anxiety
- Gives your toddler the sensory feeling of being hugged.
- Reviewers raved about this, saying it helped their toddler sleep through the night for the first time!
- Can only be used from two years and older
Fabelab Coastal Ship Blanket
With its super comfortable quilted padding, this blanket is really something special!. Perfect for tummy play, floor play time, this blanket is made from the softest organic cotton.
There is a wonderful fusion of design here, with Danish simplicity combined with Asian origami influences, so much so that you can fold this blanket into the shape of a ship. how amazing and creative is that?. The origami ship you make can stand up using the patchwork pattern as fold lines and guidance. When your baby is older, they will even be able to fold this and make the ship themselves. A real novelty.
This blanket makes a great addition to any child’s play room or bedroom, look fabulous in a cot or on a toddlers bed. Fabelab Coastal Ship blanket product has the highest ethics it is sustainable and made with sustainable practices, certified organic and comes in recycled or recyclable packaging.
- Wonderful original design, able to be folded into a ship
- super soft 100% certified organic cotton
- Nice size 90 X 90 cm makes this perfect for seeing right through childhood
- Fabelab (the maker) are a sustainable company
- Beautiful Danish design
- Will get softer the more you wash
- Would make an absolutely fabulous luxury baby shower gift
- More expensive price tag. Most expensive blanket in our list. However I believe the quality and originality of this piece justifies the price.
CERTAIN CONTENT THAT APPEARS IN THIS ARTICLE ON NATURAL ORGANIC FOR BABY, COMES FROM AMAZON. THIS CONTENT IS PROVIDED ‘AS IS’ AND IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE OR REMOVAL AT ANY TIME.
AS AN AMAZON ASSOCIATE, I EARN COMMISION FROM QUALIFYING PURCHASES.
All of the organic baby blankets above are all highly recommended by reviewers, it was hard to find any negative reviews about any of them. When I had My two I had about 5 Blankets 3 cellular style ones and two quilted ones. Mind you, you can never have enough blankets. There will always be that favourite blanket that you wished you had bought multiple of. In fact many of the reviewers of these blankets stated they had 3 or 4 of the same blanket!
I absolutely love the blankets by Isla and Fisher, and the weighted blanket for toddlers is an absolutely brilliant idea! But my absolute favourite is the Coastal ship blanket by Fabelab. What a fabulous idea, what child would not want a magic origami ship blanket?!
A good quality organic baby blanket will last you for years, I had many that I used for my first baby jack and then for my second Jessica too, and each of them has a favourite blanket that gets dragged out when they are ill. Many of them are now used by Jessica for her dolls, so thats a good 12 years use already. Great value I’d say.
If you child is over 12 months you can upgrade your blanket to a child quilt and they can have a pillow. we highly recommend Panda London’s wonderful organic bamboo range
I personally combined my organic baby blankets with a swaddle (for newborn) and a baby sleeping bag (for when they start wriggling).
I hope this article has been of value to you and you find the perfect natural and organic baby blankets for you and your wonderful new baby. If you have any questions or comments please feel free to ask them down below. If you do purchase any of these blankets do please leave us a review or comment. Or if you too have any advice for our future readers please feel free to leave it here.