Our article ‘why the organic pregnancy will change your life’, explored the areas that you can change during pregnancy, to have a more natural and organic lifestyle and home. One of the key things this article addressed was the levels of chemicals in everyday items that most of us are completely unaware of. You may also be completely unaware of how dangerous some of these chemicals are. How many time do you actually look at ingredients of products before putting them into your shopping trolley? In fact, it wasn’t until I went vegan for a while that I really started looking at labels. When I did start looking I was shocked how many products I bought, not only had harmful chemicals, but could have also been tested on animals!
When your baby arrives it is more important than ever to be aware of what ingredients are in the products you are putting on your new baby’s delicate skin and into your baby’s body. The creams, bath products, household products you use daily surround your baby, and some of these products you will be putting onto your precious new baby, multiple times a day.
One of those products is baby cream. Every time you change your baby’s nappy, you will potentially be applying a baby cream, or barrier cream, this will help to prevent sore bottoms and an unhappy baby. You have a choice, do you use a natural and organic baby cream or do you use one that contains harmful chemicals?. Our ‘Best organic baby creams of 2019’ may help you make that choice.
I have not used all of these products personally, however in order to compile my top list I have analysed the companies and the reviews for each of the products, to come up with what I consider to be my best of 2019.
1) Neal’s Yard Remedies Baby Balm
This award-winning, 100% organic Allergy Certified balm offers you a multi use cream, which is why it made it to our number one spot. Not only can you use this on your baby’s bottom, but it can be used on your baby’s face and body, to soften and sooth. It offers a fragrance free blend of soothing and nourishing Shea butter and botanical oils. This means you only have to carry one cream in your change bag, saving you space and weight to carry around, when you are out and about with your baby.
This balm is also perfect to be packed in your bag for hospital, as it is perfectly safe to use on your newborn baby (3kg/6lb 10 oz +), It is even great for your skin, if you get irritated or sore skin.
- Skin softening
- Certified 100% organic by the soil association
- Allergy certified
- Hypoallergenic and Dermatological tested
- Gentle enough for newborns (3kg/6lb 10oz +)
- Multi use, can be used on face, body and bottom
- Vegetarian Society approved
- Cruelty Free
- You may have to have a barrier cream for night, or nappy changes prior to sleep.
What impressed us most about this balm was how versatile it was. It’s lovely texture and consistency make it perfect for patches of sore skin that often come with your newborns skin is adapting to being in the outside world, or when your baby is teething. This organic baby cream (balm) is great for your baby’s bottom, but also wonderful as an overall moisturiser.
2) Neal’s Yard Remedies Baby Barrier Cream
This award-winning organic baby cream helps to provide a barrier to your baby’s delicate skin. This can help prevent soreness on your baby’s bottom, and if any of you have experienced a baby with a sore bottom, you know it is not a pleasant experience for either baby or parent listening to the cries. This wonderful barrier cream has made it to our number two spot as it couples really well with the baby balm, with many parents using the balm most of the time, and the barrier cream for nappy changes before sleep and at night.
This organic baby cream helps keep your baby soft and comfortable. It is made with organic beeswax and organic chamomile, blended with essential oils, making it suitable for your baby’s delicate skin.
- Helps keep your baby’s skin soft and comfortable by forming a barrier, preventing wetness from making your baby’s bottom sore.
- Hypoallergenic and dermatological tested
- Gentle enough for newborns (3kg/6lb 10oz+)
- Vegetarian Society approved
- Cruelty Free
- No chemicals
- Made with 82% organic ingredients (so not 100% organic)
This balm will provide you with the peace of mind that you are putting only the best natural and organic ingredients on your baby’s bottom every nappy change. Yes this organic baby cream is not 100% organic, but 82% is better than 0%. If you apply at each nappy change, or alternate with the baby balm, it will help you to prevent nappy rash and soreness, which can be incredibly painful and uncomfortable for your new baby.
3) Natralus Australia My Little One happy Bottom Nappy Barrier Cream
This organic baby cream makes it to our best of for this year because it is naturally created using only the gentlest natural and organic ingredients, including paw paw and Natralus tell us that this organic baby cream does not contain any ‘nasties, including parabens or petrochemicals.
This cream comes in a really handy tube so it can be thrown in your nappy changing bag, or bag for hospital without worrying about breaking a glass jar. You can use this cream for every nappy change, with the peace of mind that you are only putting the most natural and organic ingredients on your baby’s bottom, including paw paw, Shea butter, oatmeal extract, calendula, aloe Vera, rosehip and jojoba oils.
- Contains Paw paw (papaya), which is loved for it’s moisturising and soothing properties.
- Paw paw contains natural protective antioxidants and anti-inflammatory ingredients to reduce skin irritation.
- Organic ingredients
- Naturally free from Parabens, petrolatum, sulphates, mineral oil, lanolin, artificial colours or fragrances.
- Dermatological tested to be kind to your baby’s sensitive skin.
- Cruelty Free
- Price, this organic baby cream is slightly more expensive
If you are looking for a natural and organic alternative to the supermarket options that are filled with chemicals, then this could be the perfect cream for you. It is hailed by many reviewers as the best barrier cream on the market, and many raved about how it either treated or healed nappy rash on their babies. If you have had a baby with nappy rash, you know how essential it is to treat this quickly, and to prevent it happening, this is why barrier creams are so great. If you want organic, natural convenience then this could be the organic baby cream for you!
4) Green People Organic Babies Calming Nappy Cream Chamomile 50ml
- Naturally rich in omega 3, omega 6 and soothing zinc oxide
- 100% natural and certified organic (95%)
- also be used on all areas of soreness, not just on your baby’s bottom
- Repels water to protect against dampness and help to prevent nappy rash and soreness
- Quite expensive for a small pot
- Is actually only 95% organic
- reviewers reported that the beeswax can sometimes solidify in cold temperatures
- reviewers reported that the smell is unusual
- Being in a pot, you have to stick finger in as apposed to squeezing a bit out. (personal choice which you prefer)
There are mixed reviews for this organic baby cream, most rave that it is brilliant at helping you to prevent and heal soreness, with some stating it healed their baby’s nappy rash after the first use, whilst others reported that it had no effect. Most commented on the small size and that they tried to use sparingly because of this, some combined with using other products, to make it last longer. For the majority, this cream came highly recommended even with the higher price for the smaller size. I guess if it works and heals your baby’s nappy rash then it is highly worth the price tag.
5) Weleda Baby Calendula nappy Cream 75ml
Weleda was always one of my favourite brands when I had my daughter Jessica. This has made it to our best of, as it is still one of the top selling baby nappy creams. Weleda tell us that their nappy cream is made from certified natural ingredients, including organic calendula. It has a natural anti-inflammatory effect, so when mixed with chamomile extracts and sweet almond oil and sesame oil, it makes a rich cream that is great for reducing redness on your baby’s bottom. The skin friendly lanolin ans zinc oxide also provide a great barrier against damp.
- 100% natural
- Helps reduce redness and inflammation
- Creates a protective barrier to prevent dampness and soreness
- Bio-dynamic calendula and chamomile soothe irritation and comfort skin
- Formulations work holistically to protect and support healthy skin.
- Many reviewers reported that their nurseries would not take due to containing nuts in the ingredients
- Some reviewers did not feel it provided a barrier and had to use another product to do this
- Many reviewers didn’t like the smell or found it strong
- Reviewers reported that the product separates in the tube so you can get oil dripping out when trying to use.
As with most products, there are those that hail this as a miracle cream, and then there are those that feel it did not help or inflamed nappy rash more. I like this cream because it is more reasonably priced than others on our list. However, I found that it was great for soothing, but I combined with an alternative barrier cream for sleep changes and nighttime.
What I loved about this cream is that it is 100% natural, although I am disappointed that it is not 100% organic. However, any nappy cream that does not contain man made chemicals is a bonus for you and your baby. I also recommend this cream for other areas of soreness, making this a great versatile purchase, and could save you money buying multiple products
6) Mummy’s Miracle Moringa All Natural Nappy Cream
This all natural nappy cream has made it to our best of list as it is recommended by pediatricians. Miracle in the green Inc tell us their product includes vitamin A and D and is gentle enough for you to use everyday. It is a protective barrier cream protecting your baby from irritation of wetness. Being formulated with extracts of moringa oil, Shea butter it provides a natural long-lasting protection.
The wonderful thing about this cream is that it can also be used by your whole family for dry, chaffed or cracked or flaky skin. This cream is all natural and Eco friendly, made from toxin free products. Can be used as a nappy ointment, dry skin remedy, nipple balm for you, if you are nursing. It can even be used by you as a stretch mark cream while you are pregnant. Making this a really good value, multi use miracle cream.
- Moringa Oil has antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties, can be used to heal, minor cuts and scrapes, bruises, burns, insect bites, rashes, and sunburn.
- All natural baby vitamin A and D ointment
- No Phthalates, paragons, petrolatum or SLS, Petrochemicals or parabens.
- Suitable for sensitive skin
- Quite a small size for the money
- Minimalist packaging
- Not a cream, more of a Vaseline gone hard consistency
This little pot of balm is made in the USA, when you first get it, it can be a solid form (depending on the temperature) but as you warm it up in your hand it will melt. Many of the reviewers stated that a little goes a long way, and that it absorbed well.
7) Tiddley Pom Organic Nappy Cream (50g)
This wonderful little pot of organic Shea butter is mixed with English lavender and English chamomile oils, to make this organic nappy balm. Providing an organic baby cream that is designed to help soothe your baby’s problem skin and dryness, whilst also providing protection against wet in your baby’s nappy area.
- 99% Organic
- Multi use can be used on other parts of the body for dry skin
- Free from harmful chemicals
- Suitable for vegetarians
- bottle and packaging are fully recyclable
- More expensive than other brands
Tiddly Pom have little say about this product, what they do say is to the point and minimal, a bit like this balm. It doesn’t shout it just quietly soothes. Which is why it is one of my top organic baby creams. I love the fact that it can be used on different areas of or your baby’s dry and sore skin, not just the nappy area. One reviewer stated that it was great for patches of eczema. If you are looking for a great little all round balm, then this is perfect for you.
8) Mori of Norway Nappy Cream (100ml)
Mori of Norway tell us that their nappy cream promotes faster healing of nappy rash and skin irritations. They tell us that it is fast absorbing for faster healing and reduced inflammation, which is great when you have a baby in pain with a sore bottom or nappy rash.
This cream has an emollient ointment texture, which can be used on any areas of dry, itchy or irritated skin, not just your baby’s nappy area, which is why it has made our best of this year. Mori of Norway tell us that their little tube of cream not only reduces redness, but also supports skin regeneration, with ingredients of aloe Vera, beeswax, Shea butter, jojoba oil and rapeseed oil, which have all been certified organic.
- Tested & safe
- Allergy Certified
- 99% natural, certified organic
- Unscented for really sensitive skins
- Can be used as a barrier cream or to soothe wounds, rashes and sores
- Convenient and hygienic tube, great for change bag
- Expensive for the size
- Some reviewers reported that it did not clear up nappy rash as well as other brands
After a detailed analysis of the reviews, I found that many of the success stories of this little tube of cream appear to be for other uses than the nappy area. Many reported that this cream helped soothe and heal eczema and psoriasis, with some hailing it a wonder cream or miracle.
What I loved was the multi use aspect of this convenient tube of cream, if you have a baby or child (or in fact yourself) who suffers with these painful skin conditions, it might be worth giving this nappy cream a try.
9) Organic Monkey Bumfluff Nappy Rash Balm (50ml)
Any company that dares to call their balm ‘bumfluff’ deserves to be in my best of for the year. Organic Monkey bring you their award-winning, effective nappy balm which is made with a blend of organic oils and Fairtrade Shea butter with organic lavender and Roman chamomile.
- 80% Organic
- Award Winning
- Organic oils
- Fairtrade Shea Butter
- Only 80% organic
After analysing the reviews most absolute loved this fantastic product. They loved that this texture did not cake on their baby’s skin like other brands that are a thicker cream consistency and could be spread well. Most reviewers also confirmed that this balm helped to heal and prevent their baby’s nappy rash and soreness.
Something that got mentioned, which I hadn’t come across or experienced was that a lot of reviewers were mentioning that some baby creams made their hands dry or irritated, whereas with this balm, they were happy to report that this had not happened. If you are a new parent with sensitive skin, or a skin condition, this little balm might be worth trying for you and your baby.
10 ) Storksak Natural and Organic certified baby balm barrier cream (60ml)
Our final addition to our best of is this natural and organic baby balm by Storksak. It has made it to our top list as it came highly recommended by reviewers. Storksak tell us that their balm is thick and enriched with natural beeswax, sunflower seed and coconut oils. They claim that it prevents drying and irritation and nappy rash. They also inform us that it has multiple uses and can be used on the face, body and bottom. We are told that it has a mild fragrance of English pear, chamomile and honey.
- No parabens, SLS, Mineral Oils, Synthetic fragrances or colours
- Natural and organic cosmetic certified to ECOCERT standard
- Suitable for nappy rash, sensitive and eczema prone skin
- Dermatologically approved
- Responsibly sourced and recyclable packaging
- Proudly made in England
After I researched the reviews written on this product, I found no negative comments. I loved the fact that it is certified organic, and that the company are proud to state that their packaging is responsibly sourced and recyclable. Which is always a bonus in this ever disposable, throw away world.
All reviewers proclaimed this balm to be great, and also proved testament that it is good for eczema prone skin. A lot of reviewers loved this companies ethics, but also praised the quality of the product too. Many stating that this is the best barrier cream they had used. I love again that this product can be used for multiple purposes, not just for nappy rash. If you suffer with irritated hands or either you or your baby has eczema, then this balm may be the one for you.
CERTAIN CONTENT THAT APPEARS IN THIS ARTICLE ON THIS WEBSITE, COMES FROM AMAZON. THIS CONTENT IS PROVIDED ‘AS IS’ AND IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE OR REMOVAL AT ANY TIME.
AS AN AMAZON ASSOCIATE, I EARN COMMISION FROM QUALIFYING PURCHASES.
I would recommend any of the products above, which is why they have all made it into our best organic baby cream of 2019. I personally love the combination of the two Neal’s Yard Remedy products. By combining the baby balm with a barrier cream for sleep changes, you get the best of both worlds. However, if you are looking for a really good, reasonably priced alternative then Weleda’s Calendula Nappy Cream tends to be a favourite with reviewers.
The thing with a baby cream or balm, is that every baby and parent are different and have a unique individual skin. As with most things in life, it is sometimes about trial and error, especially if you or your baby have a skin condition such as eczema. What can be hailed as a miracle to one parent, can be ineffective to another. What may heal a skin condition on one baby, may flare up the condition on another.
Whilst many mention cost in their reviews I believe it is highly worth paying that little extra for good quality organic ingredients that are not filled with chemicals and unnatural fragrances or colours. If you have had a baby that suffers with nappy rash, especially when combined with teething, you will know the value of a really effective nappy cream or balm. It can be the difference between a crying and screaming baby, or a happy calm one. The difference between a sleepless night and a good nights rest. You can’t put a price on that.
If your baby is crying, and you have solved the sore bottom issue,
Please feel free to ask any questions or leave any comments below. Which is your favourite? Please let us know your opinion, if you do purchase any of our recommendations as any advice for future Natural Organic for Baby readers, is greatly recieved.